FAQ - Driver

Who is subject to entry-level driver training (ELDT)?

The rule establishes minimum training requirements for entry-level commercial motor vehicle (CMV) operators in interstate and intrastate commerce who are applying for a Class A or Class B commercial driver’s license (CDL), an upgrade of their CDL (e.g., a Class B CDL holder seeking a Class A CDL), or a hazardous materials (H), passenger (P), or school bus (S) endorsement for their license for the first time.  The requirements do not apply to individuals holding a valid CDL or a P, S, or H endorsement issued prior to February 7, 2020.

Who is exempt from entry-level driver training (ELDT)?

The entry-level driver training (ELDT) requirements are aligned with the existing commercial driver’s license (CDL) regulations in 49 CFR part 383. The rule does not create any new exceptions; therefore, any individual who is currently excepted from taking a skills test in order to obtain a Class A or Class B CDL or a passenger (P) or school bus (S) endorsement is not subject to ELDT.

What training must an entry-level driver complete in order to take a commercial driver’s license (CDL) skills test?

Beginning on February 7, 2020, no “Entry-Level Driver” may take a commercial driver’s license (CDL) skills test to receive a Class A CDL, Class B CDL, Passenger (P) Bus endorsement, or School Bus (S) endorsement unless he/she has successfully completed a mandatory theory (knowledge) and behind-the-wheel (BTW) training program, or, in the case of a Hazardous Materials (H) endorsement, mandatory theory training that: (a) is provided by a training provider listed on FMCSA’s Training Provider Registry (TPR), and (b) is appropriate to the license/endorsement for which that person is applying.